Safety of Adults
- Adults are provided with guidance about the safe storage and movement, of large pieces of equipment.
- All warning signs are clear and in appropriate languages.
- The sickness of staff and their involvement in accidents is recorded.
- Fire doors are clearly marked, never obstructed and easily opened from inside.
- Smoke detectors/alarms and fire fighting appliances conform to BSEN standards, are fitted in appropriate high risk areas of the building and are checked as specified by the manufacturer.
- Our emergency evacuation procedures are approved by the Fire Safety Officer and are:
- clearly displayed in the premises;
- explained to new members of staff, volunteers and parents; and
- practised regularly at least once every six weeks.
- Records are kept of fire drills within pre-school and the servicing of fire safety equipment and relevant certificates are held by the Hall Tustees.
- Low level windows are made from materials that prevent accidental breakage or are made safe.
- Windows above the ground floor are secured so that children cannot climb through them.
- We take precautions to prevent children’s fingers from being trapped in doors.
- All surfaces are checked daily to ensure they are clean and not uneven or damaged.
- Children do not have unsupervised access to the kitchen.
- All surfaces are clean and non-porous.
- There are separate facilities for hand-washing and for washing up.
- Cleaning materials and other dangerous materials are stored out of children’s reach.
- When children take part in cooking activities, they:
- are supervised at all times;
- are kept away from hot surfaces and hot water; and
- do not have unsupervised access to electrical equipment.
- All electrical/gas equipment conforms to safety requirements and is checked regularly.
- Our boiler/electrical switchgear/meter cupboard is not accessible to the children.
- Fires, heaters, electric sockets, wires and leads are properly guarded and the children are taught not to touch them.
- Storage heaters are checked daily to make sure they are not covered.
- There are sufficient sockets to prevent overloading.
- The temperature of hot water is controlled to prevent scalds.
- Lighting and ventilation is adequate in all areas including storage areas.
- All resources and materials from which children select are stored safely.
- All equipment and resources are stored or stacked safely to prevent them accidentally falling or collapsing.
- Our outdoor area is securely fenced.
- Our outdoor area is checked for safety and cleared of rubbish before it is used.
- Adults and children are alerted to the dangers of poisonous plants, herbicides and pesticides.
- Where water can form a pool on equipment, it is emptied before children start playing outside.
- Our outdoor sand pit is covered when not in use and is cleaned regularly.
- All outdoor activities are supervised at all times.
- Animals visiting the setting are free from disease and safe to be with children, and do not pose a health risk.
- Children wash their hands after contact with animals.
Systems are in place for the safe arrival and departure of children. The times of the children’s arrivals and departures are recorded.
- The arrival and departure times of volunteers and visitors – are recorded.
- Our systems prevent unauthorised access to our premises.
- Our systems prevent children from leaving our premises unnoticed.
- The personal possessions of staff and volunteers are securely stored during sessions.